So we made magic in the kitchen//on the bbq tonight and I'm so excited to share it with you all!!!
Ever have one of those indecisive supper moments where you kind of feel like one thing, but then fantasize about another, but then don't exactly have the groceries and ALL OF A SUDDEN you get this brilliant idea to marry the two meals into one?! That's kind of what happened here.
World, meet bbq honey sriracha chicken.
And please also meet it's partner: Guacamole Black Bean Burrito Bowl
If you're anything like me, you've got a constant hankering for all things burrito bowl and bbq, so this delicious combination was destined to meet!!
Our tummies are full and the kitchen is clean. Now I think it's time to go watch a little Brooklyn99 and snuggle up on the coach with a ginger tea and my darling man. Enjoy!!
BBQ HONEY SRIRACHA CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS
8 chicken thighs
2 tsp fresh minced garlic
3 Tbsp honey
2 tsp Sriracha
2 tbsp Soy Sauce (I use BRAGG)
Pinch Sea Salt
2 tsp vinegar
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
2 Cups Basmati rice, cooked
2/3 Cup black beans
1 Cup kidney beans
1 Cup corn
2 tsp Sriracha
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp olive oil
½ red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped and de-seeded
1 orange pepper, sliced into thin strips
Shredded cheese for topping (I use Daiya Mozza)
Salsa for topping
2 ripe avocados
¼ white onion, chopped finely
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
½ tsp cumin
2 Dashes Lime Juice
1 Roma Tomato, chopped
1) Mix all “chicken” ingredients together in bowl until smooth. Pour into large ziplock freezer bag as a marinade over the chicken thighs. Cover completely. Let sit 30 minutes.
2) Cook basmati rice (takes around 22 minutes)
2) While marinade is setting and rice is cooking, chop up romaine, japaleno (take out seeds), orange pepper and red onion. Put chopped veggies (except lettuce) into heated skillet with a bit of olive oil. Sautee until fragrant and soft.
3) Prepare BBQ and grill chicken until cooked (around 8 minutes each side)
4) While chicken is BBQing, mix in rice with veggies in skillet. Add Sriracha, brown sugar, beans and corn. Mix well and let sit on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a touch of water if it seems dry.
5) Go flip your chicken. Come back and make the guacamole. Mash avocados into bowl, add chopped onion, spices, lime juice and add chopped tomato last (once everything is mashed together already).
6) Place chopped romaine at the bottom of the serving bowl. Top with rice/veggie/bean mixture. Add shredded cheese if desire. Cut up 1-2 chicken thighs into smaller pieces and put on top of ingredients. Top with guacamole and salsa and serve!! The flavours in this dish will blow your mind!!