Oooooh GURL, summer is upon us! And you know what that means: BBQ SEASON IS HERE.
Now, the thing about bbq season is *most* of the conventionally bought meats are FULL OF CRAP and not great for you when heated to a sizzle on your grill. (But for real, did you know low quality animal protein (conventionally bought burgs, sausages, hot dogs) + sugar (bbq sauce) + high heat (your bbq flames) = carcinogens aka poison?! CRAY CRAY, right??
But the great news is that you can actually make your own delicious burgers that not only taste great, but are way better for your body! Cue DJ Khalid with "all I do is WIN WIN WIN..."
These summer burgers are an awesome alternative to purchasing store-bought ones for a few different reasons:
1) Buying local beef from the farmer's market/a nearby ranch/local farmers, etc. that isn't pumped with hormones, antibiotics, GMO grain/corn fed, conventionally "harvested" etc. makes you feel better physically, but also consciously. If you're going to eat meat, eat quality meat.
2) Using QUALITY meat in SMALLER portions does AMAZING things for vitamin B12 intake, Iron levels, your hormones and overall protein requirements to stay healthy and strong.
3) Using half mushrooms and half beef allows you to get that same, juicy burger you're craving with HALF the amount of beef, which helps your body to better digest them, leaving you perfectly full, satisfied and not overtaxing your liver with fatty patties. YAY YOU!
All of this to say, MAKE THESE DAMN BURGS so you can see for yourself!!
1-2 lbs quality ground beef or bison
2 cups finely chopped portobello or cremini mushrooms
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup GF oats
2 Tbsp Psyllium Husk (you can also use flax meal)
1-2 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
1 Tbsp low sugar or organic ketchup
1 tsp sriracha
2 tsp coconut aminos (you can also use Bragg soy sauce)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin (optional)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
THE HOW TO:
1) Heat the BBQ and prepare a sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper on it.
2) Mix all ingredients in a silver mixing bowl with your clean hands. This recipe is fun because the measurements don't have to be totally exact and you'll still get a great-tasting burger.
3) Using your hands, form patties to your size preference and place on the parchment paper.
4) Once all burgers are formed and ready to go, BBQ on med/high heat for 4 minutes. Flip them carefully and BBQ for 5 minutes on the other side. If you want to add bbq sauce (you don't need it with these), do so after they're cooked or as they're finishing up.
5) Transfer to a clean plate and top them with your favourite toppings! We love yellow mustard, organic ketchup, sauerkraut, arugula, garden tomatoes, white onions, garlic pickles and portobello mushroom buns! The options are endless!
Hot Tip: if you're going to be enjoying summer cocktails or a nice glass of wine with your meal, skip the bun so as to balance your macronutrients and not overdue it on the carbohydrates.
Or don't and enjoy your bun and drinks! Your life, your choices, your preferences!
Are you team beef or team bison? And if you're totally vegan, have you tried Oh She Glows sweet potato black bean burgers?! They're one of my FAVOURITE go-to burger recipes!!
If you make this recipe, post it on your IG stories and tag me @mariebarkerwellness so I can see what variations you choose and celebrate burger night with ya!
ps - this recipe goes REALLY WELL with my Oven Baked Potato Crisps!