2020 has been WILD.
Challenging, messy, wonderful, revealing, *insert your expletives of choice*.
It's been one for the books for all of us in one way or another.
But you're here. You're reading this. You're alive.
And to me, THAT is all the reason we ever need to celebrate.
*Actual footage of me dancing into 2021...*
So, 2020 has been a beast.
And yet, it's been my favourite year yet.
So much good came out of the discomfort this year, and for that I'm so grateful.
Below are 20 of my favourite lessons that I'll be carrying forwards into 2021 with me.
I hope you can benefit from my reflections and I challenge you to sit down and journal out your own list of lessons that cropped up this year. Don't let the last 365 days of LIFE fade into a memory without looking back to find the moments of growth, of goodness and of grace.
✨20 lessons from 2020:
1) There is nothing more important than feeling good. When we feel good, we show up happier, healthier and more positively for ourselves, our families and the world.
2) There is no use in worrying about the things we cannot control. Our energy and attention is much better served on taking ownership of our habits, our attitude and our own results. “The sun will rise without your help”
3) Feeling off? Put your phone in a drawer and go for a walk in nature. Put on an awesome playlist and dance. Write a list of things that make you laugh. Call a friend and recount a fun memory. Make your favourite meal. Meditate. Workout. Journal.
4) Still feeling anxious / sad / depressed / frustrated? Find one thing in your immediate surroundings to appreciate the shit out of. Stay off your phone for 24 hours.
5) The small things - making coffee, answering an email, cooking dinner, folding socks - these are the enjoyments of my life & when I focus on each task and enjoy it for what it is, I become present, grounded and calm.
6) Resting and unplugging IS productive and necessary for a good, enjoyable life.
7) Nothing is created or destroyed. It’s all already here. Open up, allow and get into energetic alignment with what it is you want.
8) Feeling scattered? Clean your space.
9) Whatever you are thinking about, you are praying for. Don’t want what you’re thinking about? Notice. Let go. Choose again. It’s just a thought and a thought can be changed.
10) “What would feel so fun and easy right now?” Do that.
11) Listen to your gut. Intuition is never wrong. Ever.
12) Anytime anyone is unhappy with you or projects anger, hate, frustration, etc. it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with how they perceive the world. Love them anyways.
13) Life CAN be fun and easy. If you find yourself making things difficult just for the sake of it, pause. Notice. Let go. Allow. “Unkink your garden hose and let it flow.”
14) “If I want to be free, I’ve gotta be me. Not the me I think you think I should be. If I want to be free, I’ve gotta be me.”
15) Life has worked out for you 100% of the time up until now. And it always will. Stop worrying if it’ll work out moving forwards. It always has. You’re here, alive, with lessons learned. Trust that everything is for you.
16) The best morning routine is an earlier bedtime.
17) You can’t get it wrong. Relax. Enjoy.
18) To live is to change. To live well is to change often.
19) Fear elicits reaction. Love elicits response.
20) Waiting is an energy drain. Need a reason to bake the cake, make the call, start the business, wear the dress? Being alive is the occasion.
Which ones resonate with you? What lessons are you carrying forward from this wild, wonderful and challenging year?
Always in your corner,
I would love to connect on Instagram with you! I can be found playing on my stories daily at https://www.instagram.com/mariebarkerwellness/
Did you enjoy this read and want to hear more like this more often?
In January 2021, I'll be launching a weekly love letter. To sign up and receive these weekly encouragements from me to your inbox, sign up here.