Ok that title really is a mouthful, but I honestly couldn't think of what to name this delicious, hearty, healthy dish! So for now, we will refer to this delightful supper creation as the BKQFS... or we'll just go with "nummy bison fajita salad". That work?? Alright good. I'll shut up now.
2 lbs ground bison
1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
1/2 large white onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
Chopped kale and romaine (enough to cover the bases of each person's dish)
2 cups cooked quinoa
Salsa, for topping
Cheese, for topping (I use Daiya dairy free mozza)
Marie's not-yet-famous Fajita Seasoning:
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1) Heat large skillet and add splash of olive oil and fresh minced garlic.
2) Put quinoa to cook in a separate saucepan.
3) Once garlic is fragrant (should take around 3 minutes), add ground bison. Cook on medium heat until meat is browned.
4) While bison is cooking, chop up onion and thinly slice the peppers. You can also chop up kale//romaine at this point (you speedy chopper, you) and set aside.
5) Add all of the fajita spice ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. 6) Once meat is browned, add vegetable medley (minus the kale//romaine) as well as the fajita mix and around 1 cup of water. (Depending on how lean your meat is, play this by ear).
7) Simmer mixture for around 10 minutes. Quinoa should also be done by now. 8) Add romaine//kale to the base of the plates, top with quinoa, follow by bison mixture and finally add salsa and a bit of cheese if you like. This dish is jam-packed with flavour, so you really don't need to add anything else! PS - Leftover quinoa is awesome as oatmeal the next day! And the cooked bison//vegetables go great on lettuce wraps, rice or as is!! Enjoy!