ERMAGERDDDDDD!!! Double this batch the first time you make it. That's all the advice I'll give you. These little baby pumpkin pies are SO DELISH and perfect little portions so you don't overdo it during the holidays!! One or two in a sitting (especially after a big meal) is just the perfect amount!
The coconut whipped cream is the perfect combo and the crunch of the almond flour crust with the smooth creaminess of the pumpkin pie filling is JUST RIGHT. If you're feeling especially fancy, you can sprinkle a little cinnamon on the whole thing before you eat it. Because you deserve nice things and dang, is this recipe one of those nice things.
Thanksgiving. Christmas. Tuesdays. I mean, pumpkin pie can be enjoyed any time, all the time. Especially gluten free, vegan mini pumpkin pies!
Happy baking AND (more importantly) EATING!! xo
*Tip #1: Make these the day before you want to enjoy them so they have time to set in the fridge. Makes them taste THAT much better!
*Tip #2: Double your coconut whipped cream recipe if you're serving more than 4 people. The leftover whipped cream is also reallllllly good on my "best ever cinnamon pancakes"...
Okay, onto the recipe!!
MINI PIE CUPS:
1 3/4 Cup almond flour
1/4 Cup coconut flour
1/4 Cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
1) Mix ingredients and form into a dough. Separate mixture into small, even balls of dough so you have enough for 12 muffin tins (or 24 if you're doubling it, which I recommend doing)
2) Line muffin tins with paper cups and spray lightly with coconut oil (optional)
3) Using your fingers, form each ball into a muffin cup and press until it is flat to form a base
4) Put tray of muffin cups in freezer to set pie crusts while you make the filling and whipped cream
5) Preheat your oven to 350 and put a can of coconut milk in the freezer for your whipped cream
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING:
1 796ml can of pure pumpkin puree
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 can full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut sugar
3 Tbsp tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash sea salt
1) Add all ingredients to blender and pulse until smooth
2) Remove pie crusts from freezer and top crusts with pie filling (they won't rise, so feel free to fill to the top of the muffin cups)
3) Place trays in oven and bake at 350 for 45 minutes
4) Remove from oven and let cool (don't touch them) for an hour, then put into the fridge to set for at least 2-3 hours (they're worth the wait!)
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM:
1 Can chilled full fat coconut milk (we use thai kitchen for this)
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Take can of coconut milk out of the freezer (it should have been in there for 30-60 minutes)
2) Scrape off white coconut cream into food processor and discard of the white milky "gum" from the can.
3) Add maple syrup and vanilla extract
4) Pulse until creamy
5) Refrigerate immediately and then top your mini pumpkin pies with this creamy goodness!!